Thursday, May 13, 2010

Why Some People Just Don't Get It

Today I was enjoying a lovely picnic lunch across the street with my neighbor and good friend. We were talking about things and the subject of Carson’s medication came up and she asked me to tell her about all the different reactions I have received when someone finds out that my son takes medication. I have had people who are supportive and realize that sometimes it is needed, but mainly I get people who think that I am crazy. I have had someone tell me that I am literally “evil”. I have someone tell me that I should visit his or her homeopathic acupuncturist and just cure him. I have had someone tell me that Carson is really just a celiac (allergic to wheat). Even after I told that person that we have had him tested for celiac and other food allergies, this gentlemen still thought Carson was a celiac and I had gone to the wrong allergist. I have had people tell me that I am just not disciplining Carson. If I would simply let him know who was in charge his attitude would change.

My friend, whom I love very much, had two questions? Why was I telling so many people and why did I stick around to listen to their answers? She was right, I should maybe be sharing less (a entire topic I will address another time) but I think sometimes people don’t realize that it is not as easy or as simple as not giving my son food dye or visiting an acupuncturist. I wonder if people are aware that this is a real condition. ADHD and GAD are not some buzzwords I throw around. Would they have the same reaction if Carson was a diabetic and needed insulin everyday?

Medication has worked for us. It has not been perfect, but this is what works for Carson. I wish those who think that I am doing it all wrong were there the nights that I was up till 4 or 5 in the morning for weeks stewing over this decision. I wish that they could be present for the 3 or 4 times every night Carson used to wake up terrified with panic attacks, so much so that I literally had to sleep with him for months. Maybe I should carry with me the test results from my psychologist who spent weeks working with Carson before deciding he had ADHD and GAD or the results from the allergist so people realize that I did not just wake up one morning and decided to make this life altering decision for my son. They just see that Carson is doing well, and I am proud of that. They don’t realize the work that it takes to get him there and the anxiety I feel that it might all fall apart at a moments notice.

I want to be clear there is nothing wrong with homeopathic medicine. I believe that people do have food allergies and that diet definitely can affect your behavior (we do in fact have Carson on a preservative and dye free diet), I am just asking people to stop and think that maybe I am trying to do what is best for Carson. I am trying to do what is best for my son like any other mom. Please cut me some slack! My best may not always be enough, but I am trying and that is what counts. And thank you! Thank you to the people who “get it” just like my lovely friend across the street.

1 comment:

  1. I don't like talking to people about my child's medication and other treatments. Just like I don't like talking about where I served my mission because I get all defensive - but that is another story. I finally decided that the people that care about me, true friends, caring ward members and family GOT to know about our lives. Maybe I am too closed and maybe if I were more open about it there would be less stress for other moms. I do know people who think I am crazy for medicating a seven year old especially with his particular side effect but I know my son and he needs it. Even he will tell me if I forget, 'hey mom I need my white vitamin'. He feels better at school. He can tell that he is more focused and less off the walls. I don't want to say that I don't care what those people think, well yes I do want to say that. I don't care. This works for us. He is happier and as a result I am much less stressed. I believe in exploring all the options and trust me, me and my ulcerated stomach researched it all. So I too would like to add my thanks to those who "get it" and add my voice to say, "Cut her some slack!"

    ReplyDelete