Tuesday, May 4, 2010

A grand Experiment

Okay people, here it goes. I was tired of not being able to find a blog about a fabulous, hip, swinging supermodel of mother trying to raise her family. But not just any family, it had to be a family affected with GAD and ADHD. I needed to know that I am not the only mother out there dealing with a brilliant child who lacks "executive functioning skill" (how his lovely psych puts it) and is constantly dealing with a brain that will not allow their child freedom from anxiety. Weather it be in the form of being obsessed with picking his nose (not the most glamorous obsession) or having a panic attack on the playground at school because of an irrational fear that the pop bottle rockets across the playground ( I mean like 300 or 400 feet across the playground) will come and land on him and set him on fire (even thought there is no fire involved I might add) my son is a slave to his anxiety and I need to know I am not alone!

So I searched the Internet looking for the mother of all wisdom in things ADHD and GAD. The one person that would tell me that she too sits up at night wondering if she is making the right descions over changing her sons medication. Or if she is evil because she gives her son medication. Maybe he is really just allergic to wheat (even though we did have him tested). Where was that mom? All I got were these stories of people saying we are doing great! My son or daughter is doing great! We are GREAT!

Well, I am doing great too, but sometimes it is hard and I wanted to see that mom. The one who would tell me like it is. So I wouldn't think I was crazy when things didn't go as great as expected. I want to know about the other kids, like Carter, in the family who sometimes feel that the family evolves around Carson.

I want the mom who will celebrate all the success of her children no matter how small or insignificant it may seem and the mom who is helping her kids thrive despite having a few hurdles to deal with.

Well, everyone that mother did not exist or if she does she is not blogging about it, so guess what....

I am going to blog about it, hopefully a lot. I will show you, the lowly reader, that it is possible to be a fabulous mother, raise a fabulous family, and really work through having a child with GAD and ADHD

Wish Me Luck!

Melissa

4 comments:

  1. Melissa! I will read with bated breath. I can't wait to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly (and by "ugly" I am not referring to your morning look...). I'm so glad *that* mom *does* exist; she is you! - Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa, I am SO glad that you started this blog. Lisa is one of my friends and she posted this blog on her Facebook. My son has ADHD. I have never heard of GAD but if you did not just describe my son to a T...

    I have cried myself to sleep at night because of a decision about medication. I have sat at work with my stomach in knots hoping that he is having a moderately decent day. Sometimes I sit down on my bed at night and hope this will not be one of those nights when he wakes up and throws up just because he is so worried.

    I am glad you decided to be *that* mom because I think I may be a *that* mom too. I will be back again and again to read what you are experiencing too.

    My son is a wonderful, brilliant boy with so much potential. It is so nice to know of moms who have wonderful, brilliant children with tons of potential too that have a barrier or two to letting their light shine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melissa,

    I'm so glad that you've decided to be "that" mom and that my friend, Jane, sent me your link. My son is in 2nd grade and has AD/HD-i and adjustment anxiety disorder. I look at the caller i.d. nervously in the afternoon wondering if the meds have worn off and the school's calling. My little boy is so smart, so fun, and has so much potential. It hurts that so many only see him as a "spaz" or that problem child.

    Medicine and diet were big decisions for us and now we are fighting for retention. You're right; no one talks about this! I'll be following closely and praying for your family's success. Good luck to all of us and may we have a fraction of the energy it takes to keep up with the AD/HD child!

    ReplyDelete
  4. good for you. i know it is hard to talk about but it is good to get it off your chest & get help & support. it is hard to see your child/children having trouble of any kind & worrying about what to do & if you are doing enough. at least you try. so many parents don't care or ignore the problems cause it's easier. i worry all the time about conlan being so behind in speech & socialization. plus it is so frustrating. -Hilary

    ReplyDelete